Tag Archive for: Societies
A couple of years ago due to dwindling numbers the continuation of the very long running Dowty Wolverhampton Golf Society was in doubt. An influx of new members though in 2016 has seen them reach their 57th year in 2018 still prospering. The highlight of the 2017 season was the first ever “weekender”, where 11 of the society’s members travelled to Grantham to play and stay at the excellent Belton Woods complex.
Indeed the weekend proved to be such a success that plans are already in place for 2018’s fixture & there is also talk of a trip abroad, Last season also saw us visit Church Stretton, Ombersley, The Shropshire & Bewdley Pines amongst others. As ever the Society is always looking to welcome new members & although based in Wolverhampton we travel all over The Midlands looking for a good golfing challenge. Most of our fixtures take place on a Friday afternoon (between 1pm and 2pm) so if you are interested in joining us please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are a local Midlands golf society and would like to make your own contribution to On the Tee, both in the magazine and online, please contact us by e-mailing Phil at email@example.com or registering your details via our Society Registration Form
As long ago as 1931 a group of businessmen working in the newly formed plastics industry met on regular occasions for a game of golf, friendly banter and a chance to catch up on common interests. So popular were these occasions that it was decided to form a golfing society which accommodated their love of the game and also provided the opportunity to network within the industry.
The P.I.G.S. was formed initially in 1933 by Cyril Last (Founder) and proved so popular it quickly went national with the Midlands section being set up in1934 by Sydney Goode (BIP), E.Wilding-Cole and Jim Butler all of whom presented competition trophies to the society. These same trophies are still competed for today and feature each season in our fixture programme.
The P.I.G.S. are well known throughout the Midlands and have played courses such as Little Aston, Moseley, Blackwell, Moor Hall, Edgbaston, Beaudesert, Enville, South Staffs, Keddleston Park to name just a few. A major highlight of each season is our National Event which takes place in September, traditionally Woodhall Spa. On this occasion, all sections compete both individually and as a team for many original trophies.
Our season of events begins in April through to October featuring courses which vary each year and, with the exception of our Christmas Cracker in December are generally played in the afternoon followed by Dinner, awards and prizes. I extend a big thank you to the sponsors of each these events. We also encourage our members to bring along visitors and are actively seeking newcomers to join the society. These days we do not insist on potential members being associated with the plastics industry. Please do visit our website www.thepigs.co.uk and get a feel for what we are about.
Len Strong. Midlands & National Secretary PIGS
Tag Archive for: Societies
To advertise your Golf Club or Company with Midlands Golfer Magazine please contact the following:
Golf Club Sales:
Phil Nicholas – Editor
Tel: 01538 370976
Commercial and Online Sales Enquiries:
Mandy Ambert – Commercial Marketing Manager
Mobile: 07807 057705
We have a variety of Packages available at Midlands Golfer;
- Sponsorship Opportunities and Events – We hold various events where there may be opportunity for golf clubs and equipment suppliers to promote courses and products.
- Equipment Testing
- MG Matchplay Masters and MG Par 3 Championships (Nailcote Hall)
- Operation 18th – Race to the Forest
- Midlands Golfer Amateur Ladies Society (MGALS) mixed competitions
- Golf Club Advertising – Special discounted rates for clubs, golfing professionals, golf resorts and driving ranges.
- Page Adverts
- Course Reviews
- Bundle Deals
- Commercial Rates – For businesses to partner with Midlands Golfer to raise brand recognition with key buyers
- Page Adverts
- Sponsorship Opportunities
- Online Advertising – Throughout the website there are various options to advertise to showcase your business or golf club.
- Homepage LeaderBoard (top of the page)
- Offer Page (Mid page unit)
- Email – including a specific offer via a click through advert button to our website.
- Club Listing = A basic Listing (text) or a Featured Listing (image gallery)
- Social Media Boost – Facebook and Twitter Club Reviews